The 27 Best Dishes of 2017
1. Meatballs – Clark & Lake, Edinburgh
Clark & Lake has become a real favourite with its well-considered wine and beer selection, and a regularly developing menu of sharing plates, snacks and nibbles. The height of their achievements this year was their absolutely sublime meatballs, which were just so soft and flavour-packed. They are a worthy winner of the crown of Best Dish in Edinburgh, 2017.
2. Pesto with SpontanBasil – Edinburgh Food Studio, Edinburgh
A faithful rendition of pesto Genovese with room left for Lindemans/Mikkeller SpontanBasil to provide all the herby basil content. It was an amazing dish.
3. Fries – Bistro Deluxe, Edinburgh
Paul Tamburrini’s Bistro Deluxe is a very smart new restaurant serving dishes of real class. It was, however, their fries that really blew me away. Served with garlic and rosemary, these are the best chips you’ll find in the city.
4. Baked sweet potato – Picnic, Glasgow
This baked sweet potato, topped with hummus, sundried tomatoes, pesto, seeds was an absolute belter.
5. Lamb tongue – The Fat Pony, Edinburgh
Served with gribiche and burnt onion mayonnaise, this was an excellent dish I ordered several times at the superb Fat Pony.
6. Shortrib beef tortellino – Field, Edinburgh
A tortellino stuffed with the most delicious short rib braised in IPA, this was a profoundly satisfying eat.
7. Chicken – Bozar Brasserie, Brussels
The crowning glory of the best meal I had in 2017, this simple piece of roast chicken was simply outstanding.
8. Coronation chicken – The Dogs, Edinburgh
The winner of Coronation Chickne Quest, this elevated coronation chicken to a whole new level of sophistication.
9. Langoustines – Coast, Oban
Outstanding langoustines done simply on the grill with herbs and butter, these were deliciously messy fun.
10. Mince on toast – The Bach, Dundee
Mince topped with a poach egg and hollandaise? Welcome to my face.
11. Princess & the pea – Devil’s Advocate, Edinburgh
A splendidly fresh cocktail, bringing together Botanist gin, St Germain, pea and mint syrup, citrus and anise, this was one of the finest drinks we sampled in 2017.
12. Grilled ox heart – Alchemilla, Glasgow
I really enjoyed lunch at Alchemilla and this was the standout dish.
13. Margarita – Solo Pizzeria, Edinburgh
The best pizza I ate in 2017.
14. Sausage roll – Osso, Edinburgh
Osso’s sausage rolls, in a dazzling array of flavours, have been a regular Saturday lunchtime staple from their stall at the Edinburgh Farmers’ Market.
15. West Coast burger – Meat Stack, Edinburgh
Meat Stack’s classic cheeseburger has been the best addition to the Edinburgh burger scene in 2017.
16. Prawn puri – Shapla, Edinburgh
Shapla is such a reliable Indian takeaway. Their prawn puri was outstanding when I first tried it and has remained so on all of my regular subsequent orders.
17. Hatch Poutine – Down the Hatch at Food n Flea, Edinburgh
I finally found poutine I enjoyed after much searching. It came as no surprise to find it served by Canadian and North American food specialists Down the Hatch when they opened a stall at Food n Flea market.
18. Canal Street – Bramble, Edinburgh
Smoky whisky, Jagermeister and house-made Braemble liquer don’t sound like ingredients that would work together but drinks wizard Matty Hutchison managed to persuade them to come together in a beautifully judged mixed drink.
19. Chips n cheese – Verona, Edinburgh
A regular Sunday evening treat, particularly on chilly days when hiding from the world, the chips and cheese from Verona are super good.
20. Bloody Mary – Domenico’s, Edinburgh
I think 2018 will see me explore the city’s Bloody Mary’s in a little more depth. This one from Lunchquest favourite Domenico’s set the standard.
21. Octopus – Le Roi Fou, Edinburgh
A standout dish from a standout restaurant, Le Roi Fou has become one of my go-to places since opening early in 2017.
22. Lamb sandwich – Quay Commons, Edinburgh
Quay Commons has settled nicely as a fine cafe serving the best of local produce. Some of their hot sandwich combinations are tremendous with the lamb version my favourite.
23. Fried chicken bao – Mamasan’s, Edinburgh
Street food legend Toby Jones did a short stint at Mamasan’s in Leith to get their food offering up and running. His fried chicken bao served with wasabi mayo and kimchi was excellent.
24. Spanakopita – Greco Pi, Edinburgh
A new face for Great Junction Street, Greco Pi’s friendly Greek style was a hit with me. Their spanakopita was outstanding.
25. Pulled pork taco – Jolly Bandito, Edinburgh
I’ve long been sceptical about tacos, but this version from Off the Walk’s Jolly Bandito may yet make a convert of me.
26. Vegan wings – Land of Bourbon, Edinburgh
A simple a delicious dish of fried cauliflower in hot sauce, these vegan delights from police box operator Land of Bourbon were delicious.
27. Bridie – Saddler’s, Forfar
A trip to Forfar had to feature a bridie or two. The ones from Saddler’s were the best we tried.